"Sky Fruit"Immunity BoosterHealthy KidneyStudent MotivationMLM Book

ReadFlection ...

This is a personal blog aimed at sharing useful information, pictures and videos with those who believe in lifelong learning.

Copyright © 2005-2014 by Jonathan Ooi. All Rights Reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form by any means without the prior consent of the author.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Do Not Be Anxious About Anything...

I met this elderly man in his home. He is in his seventies. He was half-leaning on a chair resting his legs on the other chair. As I was talking to him about my book, he got up from his chair and walked into his bedroom. After a while, he came up to me very proudly with a Chinese Bible in his hand. I asked him what he was trying to tell me. He said that was the book he read!!! I said, that is very good. I read the Bible, too. I asked him, "What is your point?".

I continued to speak with him as if I was delivering a short sermon. He told me he has no time for other things. Without second thought, I rebutted immediately. I said, "You have time to sit down there watching TV and you claim that you have no time for other things?" He quickly justified but I knew that was a lame excuse! He told me his wife is bedridden as her legs were amputated due to diabetes. He seemed to have many challenges in his life, both financially and psychologically. I continued to encourage him. I referred him to two verses in the Bible and I recited to him in Mandarin. I looked at him in his eyes. He was moved. The two verses are produced below for your reference.

Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version)
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

He was appreciative of what I shared with him. He felt encouraged. He apologised repeatedly to me for being so unfriendly towards me earlier. Well, it is not easy for a 73 year old man to apologise. There is much we can learn from him. The three phrases we should use more these days are "please", "thank you" and "sorry". I respect him. I am glad I was able to encourage him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home