"Sky Fruit"Immunity BoosterHealthy KidneyStudent MotivationMLM Book

ReadFlection ...

This is a personal blog aimed at sharing useful information, pictures and videos with those who believe in lifelong learning.

Copyright © 2005-2014 by Jonathan Ooi. All Rights Reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form by any means without the prior consent of the author.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Something About Book Translation and Piracy in China!!!

I was recently approached to translate a Chinese MLM book into English. The author who is a Chinese, had someone translated the book for him before but did not seem too pleased with the translation. So, a friend of mine who had seen my translation work before, asked me if I would be keen to help with the translation. I told her I would try. So, yesterday, I have translated 3 pages of the book quickly and emailed to her the sample. In response, she sent me an SMS that read, "Wonderful and easy to understand."

There are parents who have been asking for the Chinese version of my first book, "15 Forgotten Secrets That Will Make You A Better Student". I have actually translated a section of it already... But, the market for the Chinese version may not be that great at the moment...so, it should take a lower priority.

I have also been approached to have my second book, "I Don't Like MLM!" translated into Chinese, published and distributed in China. Well, I am privileged to be accorded such recognition for my work. But, my $8.90 book might fetch only $2 in China as I was told by someone from China. Whew! $2? My initial thought was "forget it!". I might as well do charity if the book were to sell at such a low price. Moreover, open, rampant and sure-to-happen piracy the very next day the authentic version is out in the market, is a given!!!

So, is China a good market for my book? Is China a Dragon (Long in Chinese phonetics) or is it a Worm (Chong in Chinese phonetics) as far as economy is concerned? Hmmmm... Let me sit on it first... I have translated a portion of this book on my own anyway...

In my humblest opinion, I don't think anyone could translate my own book better than I, for I am personally effective in both the languages and I know the thoughts behind every word and sentence that I have written in the English version. Did I sound arrogant? I hope not. If I did, I was just being arrogant in an ignorant and humble way!!! Hehehee...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home